It's these similarities and differences that I love discovering. Bryan and I love to tease each other and say things like, "Oh he's definitely your son." Or, "Hmmmm, I wonder where she got that from," while eluding that we know exactly where she got it from. There is a reason, that Kade has had the normal bumps and bruises that toddlers receive while we have almost had to take MK to the ER a number of times, and we have a nurse friend on speed dial for our questions like, "How do we know if we need to get stitches?" There's a reason that when I have to talk to Kade about inappropriate behavior, his little lip quivers with sadness and sometimes he will hide in embarrassment, while MK stands tall while staring you back in the face with a little smirk. Not that MK isn't remorseful at times, but Kade is definitely a more sensitive child. One day we were in the car and MK screamed, "Go faster." Kade's voice piped up, "No Mommy. If you go faster you will have to call the cops." Just this morning, the kids were getting to eat a special treat--mini chocolate donuts. MK asked if she could have some more, and was pretty upset when I told her she had had enough. Kade on the other hand said, "No Mommy. Don't give her more. We need to save the rest so that we can have a special treat tomorrow too."
Before I was a Mom and I knew everything there was to know about raising children, (hahahahaha) I knew I would parent all of my kids the same way. No special treatment for anyone, same plan, same discipline, etc. Who knew that kids could be so different and need different things? A friend of mine wrote an awesome post called "I'm THAT Mom." How true that blog is. Not only can I relate, I can definitely add to the list!!! I think all of us moms have had those times where we have to eat our words. I know I have.
Daily I have to remind myself that I don't have all the answers. I'm not a perfect mom, and never will be. I don't have perfect children (boy, that one is hard for me). But, I do serve a perfect savior that I can look to for everything. Sometimes I have to do what works for us, even if it doesn't work for another family. Or sometimes I can't do something that worked great for someone else. Each day is full of discovery, questions, frustrations, and joys. At night when we are kissing our kids and putting them to bed, I want to feel like I have done my best even if it wasn't perfect. It is my hope that I can lay aside my selfish desires and seek what God wants for my family.
All of that to say that instead of trying to make my kids be a cookie cutter version of what I want, I want to celebrate their differences. I want to be amazed and awed at how special and unique they are. I want to enjoy discovering what makes them tick, and what makes them who they are. I want to be honest about their sin and flaws, and not be a mommy that lives in denial. I also want to hold myself accountable to raising them the way God wants, and be able to forgive myself when I fail. I want to lead my children along a path that draws them closer to God and inspires their own walk with the LORD. There is a lot that I want, but today, I am going to start with loving my kids for who they are and praising God for the blessings that he has given that I never did anything to deserve!
No comments:
Post a Comment