This has been a crazy week, one that has left me feeling a little out of it. I still can't believe tomorrow is Friday. I feel as though it should be Monday or Tuesday...
It all started Sunday morning. I was teaching children's Sunday School when I started to feel a little shakey and sick to my stomach. I figured I just needed to drink some water and eat something. By the end of SS, I was way out of it. I told Bryan that I didn't know if I could make it through church. We sat in the back where I slumped over most of the time, and fought the urge to run out of the service. Finally, when it was over we hurried home where I became very sick. What followed was not a pretty picture. I was very ill all day, and again, it felt like one of my episodes, not just like a normal stomach virus.
Just like usual, the symptoms got worse at night, and I got about 30 minutes of sleep the whole night. In fact, I finally laid a towel down on the floor in the bathroom and would just dose sitting up against the wall so I could be sure to make it to the toilet in time. The abdominal pain was excruciating and I couldn't even keep water down. The next morning I called my doctor and they said just to go to the ER so that I could get pain meds and IV fluids for dehydration. So once again, we made our journey to the ER.
Fortunately, we had a better visit this time, although I was feeling pretty miserable. I'm very thankful my room had a bathroom in it as I was still very sick the whole time I was there! We did all of the same tests for gallbladder, except for the ejection fraction. They said we would have to do it Tuesday because the right people weren't there that day. So after no results, and meds that couldn't stop my sickness, we went home again where I was very ill another night. I couldn't keep anything down and the pain was so severe that I would just be groaning and rolling on the floor.
Finally Tuesday morning came and I went in for my ejection fraction. Boy that was not fun. They give you an IV and then put radioactive dye through your veins and then take pictures. You have to lay very still for about an hour, and pray that you don't mess anything up by throwing up or anything. They also inject you with these hormones that are like eating greasy/fatty meals. They make you nauseous and crampy. Sure enough, the results showed my gallbladder was not functioning. (duh!) They immediately put me on the schedule for surgery and I spent the rest of the day, praying for that time to come quickly so I could hopefully feel better.
I will spare you most of the rest of the details. I am now home and feeling much better, although, recovering from surgery is not much fun either. You use your stomach muscles for much more than you think, and staples in your flesh are not comfortable by any means! I hope I don't sound like I am complaining, because I am just thankful to be feeling better and to be able to keep real food down. After 3 days of water and saltines that wouldn't stay down, real food has been wonderful! Thanks to my parents and my amazing husband for, once again, taking care of the kiddos when I was not able to. I hope this recovery process happens quickly, and that I will feel as good as new before I know it! Thanks to everyone else for the calls, texts, messages, flowers, and cards. Y'all really cheered me up when I was down, and made me feel loved. Thanks!!
2 comments:
Omigosh Janet that sounds so horrible I cannot even imagine. I am so sorry that had to happen. I'm relieved you're on the mend now, and hopefully that will NEVER happen again. I'll pray for health and healing. xoxo
so glad you are feeling better!! :)
Post a Comment