Well we had a really eventful night last night. Out of nowhere, I got really sick, and we thought I was possibly having a gall bladder attack. I had extreme stomach pain and I was in the bathroom all evening. I also had a growing fever with chills so bad that I was convulsing. I started vomiting around midnight and couldn't stop. I was having severe upper abdominal pain, chest pain, shortness of breath, tingling arms, hands, legs, and feet, and back and I also had pain in my back, shoulders, and neck to name some of my symptoms. I have been having a lot of "classic" gall bladder attack symptoms the past few weeks, and this is what happened to my mom before she went in and had to have her's removed. I have a family history of gall bladder disease. My Mom, Aunt, Grandmother, Great Aunt, and Great Grandmother have all had their's removed. Those are just the people we know of. I was in so much pain and shaking so bad, that I finally decided I should go to the ER. And believe me, it takes a lot for me to agree to go to the hospital!
Let's just say that it was not the best ER visit I have ever had. I really feel strongly that if you are going to be working in the nursing field, you should be a little more compassionate and helpful than most of these people were. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for the help they provided, but most of them were very rude. We had to wait 15 minutes before anybody came up to the front and noticed we were there. He had been in the back visiting with other nurses. He never said he was sorry or anything, he just grabbed my sheet and didn't even speak to us. After that, he took me back to start the check in process and he was very degrading and rude. I had 103 fever and he asked why I hadn't taken any tylenol like I was so stupid. I told him that I hadn't been able to keep anything down, including water, and I could barely even lay there much less swallow medicine. He told me my heart was racing, and asked if it was normally that high. I told him that I had no idea what my normal heart rate was and he seemed put out with that too. Throughout the course of the night my heart rate continued to race, and my blood pressure was all over the place making them think that I had a heart problem. Oy!
When they got me back to a room it wasn't much better. People were just being rude and grumpy, and I have no idea why. It was mostly in the way they talked to us. This one nurse kept being so rude to Bryan and she would do things without telling us what she was doing. Like when she gave me this big dose of Morphine and I had no idea what was happening to my body. I asked her what she had given me because I felt really funny and dizzy and she flippantly tells me a couple of drugs she had given me as she walked out of the room. She didn't stop to explain why or anything. I would have appreciated being informed about what they were doing before they did it. I still don't know what the purpose of half the drugs were that they gave me. Overall, the most frustrating part was the way they acted about me being a nursing mother. They kept asking how old my baby was and then saying, "8 months? And you are still nursing?" One nurse even said, "Oh, so you are trying to make it to a year?" in a very rude tone. Um, I'm not "trying" to do anything. I'm just nursing my baby because that is what I feel is best for her. I don't have a set time in mind, but yes, at least until 1 year. Another guy told me that I should just stop nursing so I could take some nausea medicine! I couldn't believe it! I am not going to stop nursing just to take some medicine that may or may not help me. There were just so many comments that everyone made that made them seem unsupportive of nursing which made me sad.
Anyways, after 5 hours of a bunch of tests, they still aren't sure what is wrong with me. The doctor said it was probably a viral infection, but he didn't know why I had chest pain and shortness of breath, and a bunch of my other symptoms. (Nice) He wanted me to do this one test that requires me to stop nursing for 3 days. It's called and ejection fraction where they put radio active dye through your body to watch how your gall bladder functions. He seemed very annoyed that I wouldn't go ahead and schedule it. I told him that I really needed to talk with my doctor, and decide whether or not that was best for right now. I feel confused and frustrated and I am tired of dealing with these symptoms on a consistent basis, just to be told that (basically) nothing is wrong with me. After they finally said I could go home, they sent us to check out where the lady argued with Bryan and treated him like he was stupid. After she told him we owed her $113, he told her we didn't have a copay. She said, "a lot of people think they don't have a copay when they actually do." Bryan was like, "I am the one that deals with the insurance for our company and I know our policy. We don't have a copay!" She was like, "you may think that, but I bet you do have a copay." We just had a baby, we know our policy, and Bryan deals with insurance companies every day. He knows what our policy is! Ugh! She was so rude. I just don't understand why people treat you like that when she could have just been nice. Oh, and after all that mess, we didn't have to pay. Why? Oh yeah, because we didn't have a copay!
I am feeling better today, but my whole body aches, especially my chest. It hurts to breathe in. Thankfully, Bryan was able to take off of work, and Kade had Mother's Day Out, so we have spent a lot of today sleeping. MK has been wonderful today and has slept a lot too. (Btw, she has been feeling much better the past couple of days.) Anyways, sorry to bore y'all. I am just frustrated and felt like typing some things out.
11 comments:
So sorry my friend. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.
Oh Janet, I'm so sorry to hear how bad you were feeling and still have no answers. Like Alyson said, please let me know if there's something I can do for you.
I am so sorry. I hate that everyone was rude. I agree people in the medical field should have more compassion. Let us know if there is anything we can do. Praying for you.
Oh wow Janet! I'm so sorry that you are feeling so bad and that those people were so rude. I also agree that anyone in a job where they have to deal with other people face to face at all times, should be nice, polite, and understanding. Our hopsital is a lot like what yours seems to be. I hope that your doc can figure out what is going on. I hate that you are always suffering like this. (((HUGS)))
You do not bore us girl. I'm so sorry you are struggling with all of that. It sounds almost exactly like what i've been going through :( and they still have no answers for me either. I pray you get it figured out and that you do not have to quit nursing.
So sorry to hear of all of your troubles. Hope you find out what is wrong and get some relief soon.
well that does NOT sound like fun...that is lot of strange symptoms to have at one time! adrian's sister had to have her gallbladder out on christmas eve...does having a baby effect your gallbladder or is it just a coincendence? and stinks that people were rude to you...I'm sure the ER is stressful for nurses, but still they should try to be compassionate =). well hope you're feeling better - keep us updated on the diagnosis! (if you ever get one)
I'm so sorry you had to deal with all of that Janet. I had chest pains and all of the tingliness (is that a word?) and trouble breathing. They diagnosed me with Pleurisy. I have problems with it every now and then. I think it's great that you stuck up for yourself and decided to see your doctor before making any major decisions. I'm still nursing Emily! People in the medical field are the ones you would expect to give you support when it comes to nursing but most of the time they're the ones that can be kind of degrading about it. Not all, but a lot of them. I hope you get better soon and that they can get to the bottom of this.
I forgot to add, I don't know if your hospital does this, but the one I use to go to in OK would send out surveys to see how each visit would go. If they don't do that there, I would maybe write a letter to someone and complain. That's ridiculous to be treated like that.
That is awful! I couldn't imagine treating someone like that. I hope that you are feeling better. Hope to see you Sunday.
uuuuuuuuuuuugh that is sooo annoying. i couldn't believe how rude everyone was to you. and i HATE it when people are so unsupportive of nursing! i'd like to give people like that a piece of my mind but never have the guts to do it. and the copay thing is utterly annoying too - we had to go through that with my maternity care with max - no copay! "well it says no copay but you probably have one so pay $15." so, after nine months of prenatal appts, we had a huge credit balance with the dr's office. duh! and i could go on and on about Nurse Nazi during max's delivery, but i'll spare you. i'll just say, hey, i know what you mean.
Post a Comment