When we got to the hospital, we met Daddy and went in to register. Kaden still had a big cheerful smile on his face and didn't seem scared at all. We registered and were quickly taken up to the cardio unit. Once we were up there, Kaden acted a little nervous, but was still being very good. The lady explained to him that she would be taking a "flashlight" and looking at his heart, and that he would be on "TV" (The computer screen). Kaden seemed excited about that. She even let him keep his superhero cape on while doing the test.
Before she started, she had to ask the regular questions. This was my favorite part. When she said, "What is your name?" He started spelling, K-A-D-E-N. Hahaha! So smart! He had a little trouble with his birthday, but eventually he could tell her it was in May. Good enough! After that, she explained that the results would be overnighted to San Antonio where they have an excellent pediatric cardiology team. They would then send the results back to San Angelo, where our doctor would explain them to us. They hope that it will take a few days up to a week. Kaden was brave the entire time. He never cried, he never even looked scared. He did exactly as she asked, and was very good! I was very proud of him.
As she started the test and I watched his heart on the screen, I couldn't help but think back to when we watched his heart on the screen when I was pregnant with him. It was kind of surreal. His heartbeat has always been something special to me. It was the first of our babies heartbeats that we ever got to see and hear. How precious those sights and sounds were. It was always something I looked forward to at my prenatal appointments. To go from a dark, sad screen with our previous pregnancies, to seeing a moving and wiggling baby with a perfect heartbeat! I still remember the first time we got to hear those beats.
As I watched his heart on the screen, I got a little choked up for a minute, wondering if something might be wrong with it now. I know that whether good or bad news, God is in control and that I can trust him. I'm thinking that things are probably ok, and I am determined to NOT worry about the "what ifs" right now. We will cross that bridge if we have to. It's hard to believe that my running, flying, bouncing big boy might have any heart issues!
After we were done with the appointment, Kaden got to go to the big bridge (concourse) to look at all the cars and do some flying. As I took him back to school, I also stopped to get him a special chocolate donut and some orange juice. He was thrilled, and was also excited to get back to school to show his friends his hospital bracelet. I love my precious Kaden so much. Hard to believe how time has passed so quickly! I'll definitely keep everyone posted on our news, whether good or bad.
Waiting...



No comments:
Post a Comment