Wednesday, December 29

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve always has a special place in my heart. Such anticipation, excitement, and tradition! This year we did some new things that I think just might stick. I was glad that the antibiotics had kicked in, and the kids were already feeling better. Above it all, my favorite part is being with family and reflecting on why we are celebrating this special holiday.

Our Christmas Eve always starts out with trying to be the first to say, "Christmas Eve Gift," before anyone else can "get you!" This year we were trying to figure out how modern technology plays into this. Does Facebook, texting, email, count...or is it verbal only? I think the vote came down to verbal only, and I was cracking up when my Aunt called me at midnight, just for me to answer the phone with "Christmas Eve Gift!" Better luck next year. :o) The kids were really into this tradition this year which was a lot of fun. They waited in great anticipation for Uncle Jeff to come so they could greet him at the door with this message. I'm pretty sure they kept saying it all day long, and even on Christmas!

Bryan didn't have to work Christmas Eve, but he went in early to help with the order, so another lady wouldn't have to drive in from out of town to do it. (Isn't he sweet?) We enjoyed sleeping in and then watching cartoons and getting ready to go over to Ya Ya and Granddad's house. We ate lunch with them and Gigi and G-Daddy, and then the kid's opened their presents from them. My mom thought it might be nice for them to open them and have that afternoon to spread out what they got and allow them more time to play. It worked out great.

Chillin' with Gigi.

A new train. You know he is happy!

MK got a princess kitchen and she loves it!

She brought G-Daddy "coffee" in a pink cup, and a fresh muffin. So funny and sweet!

She also got a Fancy Nancy Doll which she loves. Showing her to Gigi here.

Nancy watching her open her other gifts.

My mom was super thrilled with this gift for the kids, and they loved it too.

My mom couldn't stand it any more, so she gave me one of my gifts early. I was so surprised and excited. It is a t-shirt quilt made from a bunch of my old cheerleader shirts, camp uniforms, and choir shirts. It is such a great keepsake, and I love it! It has already kept me warm as well as brought back many wonderful memories.

So much to see and take in all at once.

Trying out his new skates with Granddad. He didn't last too long out in the cold.

After a wonderful afternoon we got ready to head to the Christmas Eve service. Kaden was a very good boy, but was still feeling a little puny so he fell asleep during the service. At least he was quiet. He did enjoy getting to hold his own candle at the end of the service though. I was proud of how well he handled it all. We normally have fajitas on Christmas Eve, but we thought my brother wasn't going to make it in time, and moved that meal to Christmas and just decided to go out to eat. We went to Outback (yum) and the fajitas were perfect on Christmas. I think this just might have to be a tradition we keep!

MK's fun new bows I made to match her dress.

Of course we always get new jammies on Christmas Eve,

and then we read the Christmas story from the kid's Bible. Kade was super excited to give his input and emphasis to the story. I love that he is starting to get it!

After the kids had put out cookies for Santa, food for the reindeer, and were tucked in bed (more than once in MK's case), we chatted with my family and got to work getting everything set up. I also had to finish a blanket that I had been working on for MK. We even had time to watch Elf while getting everything ready. There wasn't much assembly required this year, so that was good.

Here is Kaden's loot. The easel was mine from when I was a kid.

Here is MK's loot. She just loved that leotard the best, even when Mommy and Daddy kept suggesting others. Ha! And in case you can't tell, that is a gymnastics mat...well, it's like a yoga mat or something, but it's much cheaper than an actual gymnastics mat, and it's just her size right now!

Oh, and here is the special blanket I made her. It still needs some work, but I was worn out and will just have to finish it another time.


After everyone had gone, the gifts were set out, and all was quiet, Bryan and I curled up on the couch to do one of my favorite traditions. Every year, starting on Dec. 1, we write little notes to each other every day and put them in each other's stocking. Just a sentence or two. It can be something we love about the other person, something we are thanking them for, or a special memory from the day. On Christmas Eve we gather the notes and read them to each other. It's always fun to hear the sweet things and think back over the past 24 days. I'm so thankful for Bryan and how much he loves me. (It's not easy, believe me!)

It was a great Christmas Eve this year.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I love your quilt! What an amazing thing to have and then pass down to your kids. I see y'all do Santa. Did you see what happened to us on Christmas Eve--I posted about the mean pastor on FB. It looks like we won't have to worry about Raleigh churches much longer. Don't say anything on FB but if y'all come to Fiesta Texas this summer we'll probably be able to meet you out there!