Little did I know, Kaden was excited to see Santa, and said he actually wanted to talk to him. I was very surprised. When we got there, Santa had just arrived and there were no other kids in sight. So we walked up and started talking to him. It was great! He asked Kade all kinds of questions and Kade smiled and answered him. I was wondering who's child it was with me!! Ha! MK clung to me for dear life, and cried when I tried to set her on the floor next to him. She calmed down as soon as I picked her up though.
It was such a precious moment as I listened to Kade talk excitedly about different things. He even sang Santa a song he had made up for him. Santa was very impressed and so was I. This is the child that threw a lay-down-on-the-floor fit when we took him last year. Amazing what a difference a year makes!
My friend Cassandra posted a really neat website on Facebook that I got to check out today. You can personalize a message to your child from Santa. Since Kaden enjoyed talking with him so much today, I thought he might like it so I made him one. Check it out!
* * *
On a very different note. I have been thinking of ways to teach my children about the true meaning of Christmas and ways we can do more than just "get." On Friday, we were visiting Granddad at his office when he informed me that he was going on his route to deliver Meals for the Elderly. What a wonderful way to serve others! I asked him if he would mind us joining him and he said the company would be great, so we all loaded up to go. I was glad I was going to be able to help, because I had wanted to sign up, but knew I couldn't really do it alone with 2 children. It was the perfect opportunity to teach the kids about serving others and sharing God's love. Kaden was really excited to help. He has such a servant's heart.
We went to pick up our list and the meals and I was fascinated with how organized they were. Let me just include here that I had been thinking I couldn't do all of this on my own, when in walked Super Mom and I was very humbled. This woman had 3 children (probably 4 and under) and was very pregnant with her 4th. Wow! Here I had been thinking about how I couldn't do it without help, and she was doing it on her own. What an awesome example for me to see. I'm sure there are more things I can do if I just try! The morning was a lot of fun, and the kids really enjoyed it. They each took turns getting out at the houses to help deliver the meals. The elderly people loved seeing them and the kids were all smiles and glad to relate to others. I enjoyed being able to really talk about serving with Kade and he really seemed to get it. I pray that both of their hearts will always be ready and willing to joyfully serve others no matter what the circumstance!
3 comments:
My friend from elementary school has a FB site called Letters from Santa. I wonder if that's it. Shame on me, I haven't been on it and it's almost Christmas. I'm wondering when to tell Sean since he's 8 and I was 6 when I found out. He would completely tell him brother at this point so I'm still waiting!
hey jan, thats so cute that kaden actually sang santa a song! i'm pretty sure i would never have been that brave =). and the meals on wheels thing sounds great too - my mom was always big on showing the true meaning of chrismtas (buying presents for the needy, etc) and i'm really glad to have had that kind of influence!
oops! I have the name of the Santa Letter site wrong. It's Original Santa Mail and I just got letters for both boys. We'll see what they think!
Post a Comment