I had something I wanted to ponder today in my blog while the kiddos napped, but I am a little distracted at the moment. Poor Kaden came home from school today with a massive bite on his arm. I was honestly shocked. I didn't realize that two year olds still bit like that. I guess that's because I have never had a biter though. Thankfully Kade has never been the least bit interested in sinking his teeth into anyone. I hope it stays that way! It really breaks my heart because I can tell it hurts very badly. It broke the skin, it's swollen, and there is a huge bruise already forming. He is holding his arm in a way that he doesn't have to move it much and he keeps saying, "Ow Ow!" Perhaps he is milking it a little bit, but I don't think so. He had real tears in his eyes when he came in from school and said, "it hurts!" He has been very brave though. I think the band-aid helped. That kid loves band-aids so much! *Sigh* I hate when my kids are sick or hurting.
I was already worried about the poor kid as it was. I think we scarred him for life last night when we took him to see Santa. I won't go into all the details, but let's just say that it was pointless to stress over what the kids were going to wear because we walked away without a picture! Kade has never gone to see Santa before and I thought he would love him. (I should have known better considering my parents have one picture of me with Santa and I am screaming my head off in it!) He has been talking about asking Santa for a choo choo train since we explained who Santa was, and he seemed really excited while waiting in line. As soon as it was our turn...well, let's just say it wasn't pretty!... Kaden woke up screaming last night and came and got in bed with us at one point. I just hope he wasn't having nightmares about fat guys in red! Mary-Kate was a trooper until Kaden's screaming fit scared her. She sat in Santa's lap observing Kade for about 3 minutes before she started to cry. Oh well...We'll just take lots of nice Christmas tree pics for years to come! Haha!
So, on to my ponderings...I have been thinking a lot about discipline versus manipulation lately. One thing that I long for is to raise my children to be polite and sweet, God-fearing individuals. I long for them to have a relationship with Jesus Christ and to walk in His ways. I think every day I battle thoughts of whether I am a good enough mother. I long to be Christ-like in all my actions, yet I think I fail miserably most days. I am very intrigued by the chapter in Galations that talks about walking by the spirit. I long to do this and to have an abundance of patience, peace, joy...you name it! Some days it seems so impossible. That, however, is another pondering for another day... So anyways, I am always worried that I am doing something to mess up my children. I mean, that's what parents do, right?
Well, part of the life of a parent is discipline. Considering that we have a two and half year old, Bryan and I discuss discipline quite frequently. How should we do it, when should we do it, how can we teach lessons and show our love through it, etc. I have been praying for guidance and patience as I try to handle Kade's energy. Some days are better than others. Currently, we are focusing on trying to get Kade to listen and obey. We know he is very smart and knows what we are saying most of the time. He proves that by all of the clever things he says and the way he does certain things. Because of this, we know he is capable of listening to us when we talk to him. However, he thinks that when we say stop, or when we start off a serious conversation about doing or not doing something, that is the time for him to run away giggling...Thus begins a game (to him) of chase until one of us catches him. It seriously frustrates us and then in the end, frustrates him. I understand he thinks it is funny to run (his favorite thing in the world is chase) but as a parent, we know that sometimes stopping and listening is more important, and we worry about him getting hurt.
So, all that brings me to my topic...Discipline versus Manipulation. We have been at our wits end some nights thinking how can we get him to obey? I don't want to always react in anger or frustration, so sometimes is it ok to just let it go? One thing that has been working better for us lately has been to take away privilleges. When Kade is disobeying we tell him he will not get to do such and such, or we will take away a certain toy, etc. He then has the choice to obey or disobey and reap the consequences. I think that is a great form of discipline for us, and it works much better than spankings. However, the other day I realized I was threatening to turn of his show if he didn't do something I wanted him to do. Mary-Kate had just spit up everywhere and he was standing next to her burp rag. I asked him to help me by handing the rag, instead he chose to laugh and run off. After I got the mess cleaned up, I turned off his show since he had "disobeyed" me. He started sobbing and was very upset. It was then that I realized maybe that wasn't the best way to handle the situation. Yes, I asked him to do something for me, but I could have also gotten it myself. Was it fair of me to expect him to help me, and to threaten him for choosing not to help me? Ultimately, I am his mom, so he does need to obey me if I ask something of him, but I think there was more to it than that. I realized I was probably using the threat of turning off the show as manipluation to get him to do what I wanted. That's not very fair. The poor kid is bombarded all day long with instructions...do this, do that! I'm sure he sees all the limitations we put on him constantly. They are very much needed, but that doesn't change the fact that we all get tired of being told what to do sometimes. At that very moment, Mommy could have used his help, but he didn't want to. He was in the middle of his show and I could have put MK down and snatched up the rag in about the same amount of time it would have taken him to get it and meander over towards me.
I want to teach my children the joy in helping one another. I want them to know that sometimes we do things we don't want to do because we love each other. When Mommy needs a helping hand, I want them to give it gladly. I don't want them to feel threatened and manipulated into it. Thus my mind started spiraling out of contol. How much discipline do I do, and how much manipulation? Where do you draw the line? Is it always the same, does it change under the circumstances, or is manipulation "OK" when they are young like this? I have a lot of questions about this. I totally think parents have the right to be in control of their children, and to make decisions for them. I feel like we have the right to make our children do things they don't want to do. It's part of the learning process! I also know the devestation manipulation can have on grown children who have been manipulated by their parents. It's a very hurtful thing and something that can do a lot of damage. I don't want to make it a habit of manipulating my children now, because I can, and then never outgrowing it when they are grown and on their on! Part of parenting is to teach our children to make there own decisions and choices, even if it goes against what we as parents want. (Granted, there is not much freedom to give to a 2 year old, but I have even been thinking of when my children are much older.)
Now, after all that, I also wonder if manipulation is alway a bad thing. For example, we like to reward Kade with a treat at dinner if he eats a good meal. We have struggled for the longest time to get him to eat anything, so when he would eat his fruits and veggies and meat, we would give him a cookie. Thus, we started saying, "If you eat a good dinner, we will give you a cookie." Manipulation? Perhaps, but I think it served a good purpose and allowed my non-existent eater to realize he liked a whole lot of foods he never thought he did. Now, we don't have to force him to eat, and I am not a short-order cook! He never even asks for a treat after his meal, he is just happy to eat what we are having, and we wonder what child it is that is eating at our dinner table! Ha!
Ok, so MK is talking in her crib now, so I better get my sweetie pie. I just wanted to put down some of the thoughts in my head. I often times think about things but don't have the confidence (or time) to post them. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter as well. Perhaps if I have more time, I can expand a little more later!
8 comments:
I too struggle with discipline (yes, Caleb is only 11 months old, but he understands when I say no). It is difficult to be consistent. I also think I am going to do something wrong and makes things harder for everyone in the future. Here is a website that might be worth taking a look at. I have found it helpful. Another thought (I really don't have room for advice, but just a thought), maybe sit Kade in your lap before you give instructions/discipline, so he can't run away. This is not always possible (like with the case you described), but you know he is going to run, so stop him before he even gets a chance. I don't know. Parenting is difficult.
http://www.raisinggodlytomatoes.com/
Here is the link to the website I mentioned.
Parenting IS hard! I feel like I fail miserably at being a "good" mommy a lot of days too! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Kade and Mary Kate are both too cute- By the way:)
I have totally felt everything that you just summed up! I have felt myself get mad at Carlie for not helping me do something that I ask of her that I could have done myself. I don't want her to feel like she's my servant but I also think that she should obey what I ask or tell of her and to not talk back or whine when I ask her to do something. Parenting is SO much harder than just making sure your kids are fed, clothed, and clean. It's honestly like a puzzle! I'm sure no matter what we do, we'll do something wrong that they will tell us about when they get older. lol. Just go with your heart. As long as they know you love them unconditionally, I'm sure they will forgive any mistakes you make! :P
You pretty much voiced the concern of every "good" parent on earth! Don't worry too much about manipulating at this point. Like with dinner--you're not really manipulating him, you're getting him to think logically through a choice he will make for the rest of his life. We do that, too. Our rule is, you have to eat the meat/veg to get dessert. Which is usually a sugar-free popsicle. But this isn't really manipulation. It's a teaching moment.
W/the running away thing, when you catch him, maybe start by saying, "You aren't allowed to run away when we call to you." We've been really concrete with our rules for the girls and it seems to work. Kids need boundaries. They need to know how far to push you and Kade is the perfect age to be pushing those limits. So it's kind of par for the course, but be sure to stand your ground and be VERY clear. He's little and needs it all spelled out for him.
We, too, are trying to raise the girls to be helpful to others. With time and consistency we have more successes than failures. I think you did the right thing with the TV and don't kick yourself for it. You said you were going to do it and you followed through. That's a whole lot better than giving in, even if it were NOT the right form of discipline. For that age it's a reasonable punishment for disobeying. We also expect that when we ask for something to be done that we don't have to ask twice. Currently that one's still being worked on. They don't always have to do it right away but we expect that as soon as they're done with whatever they're doing, our request will be met without a reminder.
Little kids are very concrete. They need to understand their punishment and why it's being administered. We've moved to time-outs, one minute per year of age, and to get out of it the girls have to tell us why they are in trouble, how to make it right, and then they have to follow through with an apology. But spankings work with littler kids because they just don't think beyond the moment. And that's how it's supposed to be. Your method of discipline will change over the years. Right now start with very clear, concrete punishments that get his attention rapidly. You'll know when he's ready for something new.
Good luck and keep praying!
Oh sweetie! I know all too well what you go through. My sister just sent me a package with some Christmas gifts, a couple of outfits for Emily and a book. The book is called "Don't Make Me Count to Three!" A Mom's Look At Heart-Oriented Discipline. It's written by Ginger Plowman. I've only read a little bit of it, but so far it's VERY good. You might want to check it out. I've been struggling a lot lately with how to discipline but most of all how to control MY attitude and frustration.... ok... anger. Anyway, you're a wonderful mom and you aren't going through or doing anything that the godliest of women haven't done or gone through. BTW, the most aggravating thing is for a child not to LISTEN!
Oh Janet,
What parent doesn't struggle with this. There is so much conflicting information out there too which makes it that much more difficult. I do work daily with a behavioral psychologist at the hospital and am constantly picking her brain (for our lovely 2 year old). Here is the gist of it. Any attention is attention. Positive or negative. The best way to end a game is to not participate. Kade runs (in a safe environment) don't chase him. IGNORE INGNORE!!! This is the hardest thing for me personally because I get SO so frustrated. But I have to tell you...out of a week of doing it we saw the behavior end. That is the other big thing. Consistency. I think it doesn't really matter exactly how you discipline (of course you know what i mean by this) as long as you are both consistent about it. At the hospital I always remind my parents that kids need predictability.
In regards to reward. This really is in no way manipulation. Incentive programs are HUGE! We use them all the times at the hospital. There is a lot of research that supports them as well which I can totally email you. Incentive programs and layed out (like sticker charts) with immediate goals at first (sticker, etc) then moving on to longer term goals...daily prize then moving to week prize then no more prize. Due to Kade's age he is very concrete in thinking but can understand basic cause and effect. If I do this then I am rewarded for my positive behaviors. He learns the bigger lesson there. Eventually, praise will be enough positive reward.
After the behavior of running has ceased you always tell him thank you for choosing to listen. It makes Mommy feel "BLANK" when you run away from me. I am glad that you are being so nice to Mommy now. Then have the serious talk.
We struggle through this all the time! You've read about Molly. It is that much harder because behavioral support is also my adult profession. Zounds. There are just certain days that I long for my magic wand.
You are a great mom. Don't ever doubt that! Look at all the beautiful gifts you support in your children.
Oh goodness, this same exact thing has been on my mind lately. All of it, wanting to live a Christ-like life and feeling so inadequate most days, and feeling like a failure as far as instructing/disciplining is concerned. I don't know if it's just the age or what, but I feel like Kami just doesn't listen or care to, which both embarasses me and makes me feel like I've failed.
Anyways, no advice here, I just know how you feel!!
Post a Comment