Monday, October 26

Going Down in History

I got to see history in the making on Sunday morning. My freshmen year dorm, The Women's High Rise (also known as University Hall the past few years), was imploded to the ground! It was 41 years old and had it's problems, thus they cleared the way for new development and growth for the years to come. I had so many awesome memories in this dorm with my roomate Kasey. We lived on the top floor, room #1011. I was actually surprised at how emotional I felt when they blew it up. I never expected to feel sad like that. That dorm meant more to me than just the memories of my freshmen year. I had loved it since I was a little girl. Whenever we would drive into town to visit my grandmother, I would always look for the two dorm buildings standing tall. During Christmas time, the lights of the building spelled NOEL or JOY. Sometimes during Valentine's Day they had a Heart and during football season it would often times say RAMS.

I got up bright and early at 6am Sunday morning, and then my Dad picked me up to take me to a VIP breakfast he was invited to. We went to the Junnell Center and had breakfast and mingled with other people before finding our seats to view the event. They had a short program and then the countdown to the explosion. I must say, that even though I was sad, it was an awesome thing to behold. The explosions were so loud and echoed across the otherwise quiet morning. It truly brought tears to my eyes and all I could do was gape at the crashing building. There was an empty space where my beloved dorm once stood. I look forward to going back soon and getting a closer look. I am excited about the growth that ASU is experiencing and know that change is a good thing. Although I will never be able to show my children where I lived that first year, I will have pictures.

My old dorm (The one on the left.)

My Dad is a big reason that I came to school here. It was nice to share this morning with him.

Roscoe the Ram.

You can see the guy in the orange vest...he is holding "the button" (behind him) that they pressed to start the explosion.

You can see it starting to explode on the right side.

A shot of it crumbling before my darn camera froze up!!!

WHR no more! :(

Some Debris.

Here is a better shot.

I heard someone else say this joke, "A third of San Angelo's skyline is now gone." Haha.

Here is a video I found on youtube. You can hear how loud the explosions were. We couldn't find our video camera, and then my Dad forgot to hit record on his, so this is the best I have!

7 comments:

Shaunna said...

It really made me sad too...I was a 9th floor gal:]

Christine said...

Although I never went to school there, I spent a lot of time in San Angelo growing up. I bet it was sad for you. :(

Lara said...

Aww I could only imagine how emotional that was for you. Make sure you post the new dorm that they build!

Kris T said...

I think it's interesting that my freshman dorm is getting torn down this year as well.

Deborah said...

Oh I'm sad too. I didn't live in the dorms but some of my friends did. Replacing the beds I get (were they still fold outs from the wall when you were there?) but why the whole building?

cls said...

So sad! But very cool that you were there to witness it!

acpawelek said...

I heard about this the other day! I was so sad to see the pictures on one of my friends Facebook. Glad you posted the video though. 6th Floor ruled. :)