Sunday, August 23

Top 10 things I learned while working at the mall.

I had a wonderful time this weekend! Not only did I have great business, but I had a lot of fun! I was very entertained with people watching. (There a lot of weirdos out there! Ha!!) A big thanks to Bryan and my parents for watching the kids, helping with food and errands, and spending some time up at the mall with me. I could not have done this without y'all and I am so thankful for your love and encouragement! Thanks to all of you who stopped by. I was overwhelmed with everyone's support and feel very blessed to have friends like you!

I cannot believe the weekend is already over. The days were long, but the busyness made them fly by! I think that having the kiosk on tax free weekend was a good idea. I doubt it would have been as busy otherwise. My bandana dresses were very popular and were one of my biggest sellers. I kept selling out of different colors, so when I would get off at night I would go home and sew some more.

Most people were super nice and were very complimentary of my stuff. I did have some rude people stop by, but that is to be expected. I don't know if some people were never taught manners, or if they just don't care. These were some of the rude things that people said/did.
* Knocking things off and not picking them up.
* Leaving their kids to touch everything with their sticky hands and play with my things as they went in another store to shop.
* Examining my product for how to make it (which doesn't bother me) and then saying, oh I could make this easy! (You can keep that thought to yourself if you don't mind.)
* People leaning against my kiosk and visiting with other friends, while blocking the way for any customers to come and look.
* Totally ignoring me when I say, "hello, how are you?"
* And finally, my favorite rude comment of the weekend..."Your dresses look like they are made for dogs!" Haha! Why in the world would you say something like that to someone??

I also came up with a list of

Top 10 things I learned while working at the mall.

10. People watching never gets old.
9. There is something refreshing about a screaming baby that is not yours!
8. Journey's music videos are actually really good, and are still enjoyable the 20th time around.
7. I was soooo wrong when I said the style of the 80's would never come back. I always wondered what we were thinking back then...still wondering now.
6. Guys, skinny jeans, and high tops don't mix...but apparently this is one of the hot styles of the season!
5. Some of the security guards at our mall are a joke.
4. Mall walkers mean business...don't get in their way!
3. According to one of the shirts on the mannequin across from me, "Gangsta is as Gangsta does." (Glad they cleared that up for me.)
2. Our teenagers and children are loaded to the brim with technology. Almost every single child I saw had a cell phone, I-pod, MP3 Player, gaming system, you name it! Almost all of them were texting too.
1. Sorry, but butt cheek hanging out of the bottom of your shorts is not cute on anyone over the age of 2. I don't care who you are!


Here is my Kiosk!

The back side.

Close up view

The kiddos visiting me. Giving sweet hugs and kisses.

Say cheese! (MK wanted out!)

6 comments:

Lara said...

I'm so glad it went so well!!! The kiosk looks so good! I can't believe rude people! I love to people watch too. I love love love your list! Especially the Gangsta one! hahaha!

Deborah said...

I love your kiosk. It's much bigger than I expected. I'm trying to figure out where in the mall you are but the stores are all different so I can't tell.

I've noticed the 80's clothes as well. I liked some 80's fashion but then I was on the preppy side and I don't think that's what is coming back. We had an 80's arobics class at our gym and it was so funny to see the outfits.

As far as your dresses, I can't figure out how exactly a dog would wear one. I think the front would drag in the dirt and get into the water bowl ;) They are much to cute for a dog anyway!

Christine said...

I'm so glad you had good business. You're going to find rude people EVERYWHERE. I can't believe someone said your dresses looked like they were for dogs. There's something wrong with someone that would say that. Oh well, I'm sure the good people outweighed the bad. Right? :) Your kiosk looked great! Do you think you'll do it again next year? Is there a possibility for you to have a kiosk there permanently? Would you want that? :) Sorry so many questions. I just think it's so neat that you've been so successful with your business. It's inspiring.

Kris T said...

I like your top 10 list. It made me laugh.
I was kind of thinking the dresses were for dogs myself. Easy mistake to make I suppose. :)

As For Me and My House said...

im so proud of you! how fun! we are planning on coming to S.A. for Labor Day weekend. I will call you so we can get together. I can't wait to see you! (PS looking at your kiosk kinda makes me wish I had had a girl!!! well, not really, but your stuff is REALLY cute!)

Jenny/Moravia said...

Sounds like it was a great success! Congrats on all your hard work. They are all really cute.