Friday, April 9

Thinking

I have a lot of pics to post from our Spring Retreat and stories and updates on the kids, but things have been super busy around here lately and I just haven't had time. Not only have the kids and I been busy doing things around the house, but I have had many orders come in (which has been a huge blessing) as well as many new products I have been working on! I am so excited about all that is going on, but it doesn't leave me a lot of spare time to sit and blog. Most nights I go to bed about 1:30-2am just to finish up whatever I am working on. I'm not complaining but rather just explaining why I don't keep up with the blog as well as I would like to recently.

It's 1:29am right now and I am about to go to bed, but I wanted to take a minute to blog about something I have been thinking about for awhile. So...you will have to wait at least one more post before you get the updates and pics of the kids. Anyways, a friend recently posted on her blog a question that got me thinking. She said, "Tell me something about your strangest relative." Hmmm...we all have those relatives that make us giggle and roll our eyes a little. Those that can make us smile and smack our foreheads at the same time. Those that have inspired us. Those that have truly helped us become better people. Those that show us what true love is really about. Some of us also have relatives we would rather not claim (believe me I do!) and some of us have been hurt by those that are supposed to be called family.

It is so true that you can choose your friends, but not your family. I am so blessed to have been born into the family I was. Such loving, wonderful people that accept me for who I am and support me in my life. They have been there for me through good and bad. They have encouraged me when I have been down, and cheered with me when something is worthy of celebration. They have told me when they are proud of me, shared wisdom with me, protected me, helped me, prayed for me, and so much more. They have been the example of faith in my life that helped me build a foundation in Jesus Christ. I say all of these things about my "biological family" of course, because I have learned that marriage may make "relatives" but it doesn't necessarily make "families," but that is another story...

So back to the strangest relative...There is one person in particular that I am thinking about that truly dumbfounds me. This person is the most selfish person I have ever met IRL. She brings a whole new meaning to "looking out for #1." Granted, I think she had a horrible childhood and life circumstance to help create who she is today, but I still think that is no excuse. The words that perfectly describe her are Passive Aggressive. If you don't know what that means you can read a good explanation here, here, and my favorite here. There is so much more I can delve into about PA, but I am going to pass for the moment since I seriously need to get in bed soon.

Anyways, the reason that this person is my "strangest relative," is because of the choices she has made. She has chosen to be ugly, manipulative, and controlling. She plays the victim, yet this is far from the truth. She is calculated in everything she does. She hurts others (because she herself is hurting I think). She is critical of others and she is stubborn. The thing that I really don't understand, is that she CHOOSES to NOT have a relationship with the children. I just don't understand how you could not do everything in your power to see those precious babies and watch them grow in more than just pictures on the computer.

Anyways...I really need to go to bed now, and I probably will start to rant a little if I don't stop now. I just have been thinking about how confusing and strange the actions of this person are lately, and just felt like blogging about it. Thanks for "listening" to my rambling thoughts and fragment sentences. Now, I'm going to go kiss my babies, snuggle next to my husband, and count my many blessings!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange blog. How many of Bryan's friends and family is he in contact with now that he married you? Just curious? Maybe you should try practicing some of that unconditional love you have been so graciously given.

As For Me and My House said...

OUCH!...just wanted to say... when you put it out there, you have to expect those kinds of things to come back to you (referring to above comment) but, that said, those of us who KNOW you and are an ONGOING PART of your life can attest to the fact that you do genuinely strive to do what is most excellent for your husband and your family and do know the meaning of unconditional love

Janet said...

Thanks Annette. I appreciate that. Yeah, you definitely have to expect responses like that when you put things out there. I could say more, but I know it's not worth it. I love you!

Bryan said...

Anonymous-
I do not appreciate you leaving your comment on my family blog. I fully agree with and support what Janet wrote. She was just being honest about our life which is her prerogative. She has nothing to do with my decisions about what friends and family I talk to. If you have something further to say, then you are more than welcome to email me (bryan.abernathy@yahoo.com) if not then keep your comments to yourself.

Fullerton Family said...

Janet- were you writing about my MIL?? I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and I am SURE that you have and still do your best to have a relationship with your family member. I know exactly how it goes, how hard it can be.

PS- I'm sorry you got such a rude comment on your blog.

Dimples & Dots said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Kimberly, haha! Sorry about your MIL! Mine doesn't want a relationship with me and I am ok with that. I'm used to the rude comments too. Only a couple of people from Bryan's family have ever liked me so what can you do...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should look inside of yourself, seems you are a very lonely person. Other than college students do you have any friends. Remember it is not only about you. And know that God knows the truth, and that you should treat eveyone the same. God is watching.

Carrie said...

Janet -

I have a relative (by marriage) who sounds very similar. She chooses not to have a relationship w our kids. It makes me sad that they don't know her. But it makes me mad when other relatives blame us for her not seeing them. Our door is open. She knows where we live and has our phone numbers and emaill addresses. We don't have an email, phone number, or address for her, so I'm not sure how we're supposed to keep in contact other than let her know (whenever she decides to pop into our lives via a random phone call from a disposable cell that is off the next week) that she is welcome to come visit. Grrr! Sorry to rant. I guess I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. I don't know your exact circumstance, but I can sympathise. (((hugs)))

PS - I do have to say that what I know of your family (your parents and bro) you have truely been blessed in that department!

Fullerton Family said...

Yep, my MIL has never even seen Carson IRL. She lives 3 hrs. away. I guess pictures are enough for her. (Not that we know from any comments from her or anything. I just assume. She really has that little to do w/ us, unless it's to make my dh feel guilty.) It's sad that some people would rather lose so much than to open themselves and their heart to a new person.