Monday, May 12

Put a sock in it!

Ok, so maybe this is sort of a vent...I can't help but get a little irritated when people start poking their nose around in my business and try to "educate me" on what is best (or not best for my family. You know what I mean? I'm not talking about the friends and family that try to encourage, inspire, assist, and support you. I'm grateful my mom has advice on raising a baby and some of my BTDT (been there, done that) friends can help me too. I love that I have people in this world that care about me and my family. The people I'm talking about are those strangers that are clueless about your life and they really only want to express their grumpy feelings or issues on you and don't have any fruitful or godly advice for you. We all have encountered these people. For some reason, pregnancy and babies bring them out of the woodwork like nothing else. They love to talk about your family planning and push all of their ideas on you. You name it: birth control, number of children you want to have, natural delivery versus induction, and even your relationship with your spouse. Once again, these are all things that are great to talk about with people who actually care, but why is it any businesses of a stranger if I want more than 2 children? Here are some actual comments people have made to me within the past 9 months. "Pregnant, huh? You know what causes that, right?" "Oh a boy and a girl. How perfect, now you can be done!" "Gosh, you are huge! You still have a month left?" "You should have your baby on such an such day (fill in the blank) because I ..." "You're going to breastfeed? How miserable!" And the list goes on and on...Honestly, it is very easy to blow people off for the most part. Usually I would just mutter some kind of polite comment and move on. Some people don't let it go though, and they keep saying one rude thing after another. These are the people you pretty much have to ignore completely! Anyways, the comment that I have recieved lately that someone says to me just about everyday is one about the age of my children. They ask, "How old is he?" (referring to Kade) "He's 2." "Oh Wow!" They say. "You certainly are going to have your hands full aren't you. Did you plan that?" Um, first of all, I understand I am going to have my hands full. I am the one living with the toddler and newborn. I know about meltdowns, tantrums, and all the other things 2 year olds do. Now, I may not have lived it long, but I do know what a toddler is. Second of all, none of your business if I planned it or not. Does that make me a stupid person if I did? Am I only acceptable to them if I didn't plan it? Third of all, I think that children in general are very challenging. Whether it's a newborn, 2, 3, 4, or 10 year old, there will always be some sort of challenge, and new stage to discover. I would think that when you sign on to have children, you understand that you are going to have your hands full. Lastly, I love it! Yes, there are days I meltdown into tears when Bryan comes home and beg for help. Yes there are days I want to pull my hair out and I wonder what in the world I can do to cope. However, nothing is better than loving my children, and knowing their love in return. I signed on to this career for a reason. I understood the job requirements and I was ready for them. God blessed me with my children when he did, for a very good reason. I am to train my kids up in the way of the Lord and I am joyful about all the good things that come with that! Even as MK puked and pooped on me this morning, and Kade was having a fit as he begged for another muffin and more milk while I was trying to clean up the mess...there is no place else I would rather be. My job pays with kisses, hugs, laughter, dancing, and so much more. I am a mommy that loves her job! Yes I love being home, nursing, making up dumb motions to songs, and dancing around like an idiot. No, I don't always have a lot of freedom, no I don't always get a shower in right away, and no I don't always get to eat hot food, but I wouldn't change it. My children are priceless and I love my family.
Ok, sorry to kind of go off for no good reason! It's really not that big of a deal, I was just letting my hormones talk for a minute. One day, I plan to compile a list of all the stupid things NOT to say to pregnant or new mothers. Lol!

5 comments:

Crazy May Days said...

Janet~

I always read your blog but I have yet to comment! I am Melissa's friend from UT...I have two kiddos that are 18 months apart and I get asked if I planned it ALL THE TIME! I just smile at them and tell that we love adventures. How crazy people can be sometimes with their unwanted advice! Anyways, just had to comment because I am so in that boat with you! Miss Mary Kate is beautiful! I love looking at your family pictures!

Donna & Ellie said...

I can only say AMEN. You hit so many nails on the head with that one. If it means anything, I envy your life tremendously and admire you and Bryan for your love and dedication to God and family. I agree. PUT A SOCK IN IT!

Ashley said...

I don't know why complete strangers feel the need to give advise, but the definitely do! Just know that you are a great Mommy and it doesn't matter what they think! Everyone has different parenting styles. Who are they to question yours?!!! You are doing a great job, girl! :)

Alyson Sandlin said...

I totally agree. For some reason, some of the older women at my previous church were appalled that I nursed Sophie for a year. They kept telling me it was time to wean her. I just smiled and nodded and kept right on nursing. It's funny how they thought it was their business and how they thought they knew what was best for us.

LauraC said...

You should hear the crazy stuff people ask about twins. Rude rude rude!

Did you take fertility meds?

Which one is the good one?

Did you breastfeed?

I'm talking complete strangers saying these things! Weirdos.

PS. Lovely pics of a beautiful little girl!