Wednesday, November 5

Kaden's Flu Shot

Hello Everyone, this is Bryan and I wanted to tell y'all about Kaden's flu shot today. Yesterday at MK's 6 month appointment we scheduled Kade's flu shot. They said to bring him in at 8 am on Wednesday to get there before all the sick kids. So I told Janet I would take Kade to work with me and then to get his shot. Janet suggested we do something special afterwards so I decided we could go get donuts and then come home. Last night we told Kade that he had to get a shot but that he would get a band aid so that eased his mind (he loves to wear band aids). We also told him that he would get to go to work with Daddy and the look on his face was priceless! He got the biggest smile in the world on his face. We also told him we would get donuts afterward and he was also excited about that.

So I go in and get Kade up about 7:10 this morning and get him ready to go. He tells me that he does not want a shot, but I remind him that he gets a band aid, donuts, and to go to work with Daddy so he is happy again. We tell Mama bye and we head out the door. As we pull up to my work Kade says, "Daddy's work". We go inside and I put him on the counter so I can start counting the money and get the cash register ready for the day. Kaden says...money! It is so funny that he already understands that concept. We have to go in the back and get some change so Kaden carries the rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies to the front. He is so proud. I sit him back on the counter and finish counting things. Then he hands me the rolls of coins to put in the register. We then go back to my office and put away the money so I can make the deposit later. Then I tell him its time to go to the doctor's office.

As we pull up at the doctor's office Kade again says "No shot, no shot." I remind him of the band aid and donuts later so he calms down. In the waiting room Kade enjoyed shooing away flies and watching the cartoons on the tv. Everytime he saw a fly he would run over and shoo it away. Next we were called in and he wanted to be picked up and said "No shot." I sat him down and pulled up his pants leg and he was getting scared. The nurse asked me to hold his hands so he would not try to grab, so I did. Then she told him to look at me and I asked him who is favorite super hero was, but before I finished the question she gave him the shot. He looked shocked! Then he saw the yellow crayola shaped band aid and all was forgotten. I asked him what color it was and he said "Yellow band aid" in his own way. It was too cute! After a total of 10 minutes we were on our way to get donuts. Yes, we were at the doctor's office a total of 10 minutes! I couldn't believe it.

As we leave Kaden asks if we are going to get donuts now and I tell him yes we are. Once we arrive at the donut shop he is so excited. We get our donuts (donut holes for him) and sit down at a table to eat. He loves looking out the big glass window. I enjoyed telling him how proud of him I was. We enjoyed some great Father/Son time. Once I finished my donut and he ate 2 donut holes we loaded up to go check on Mama and MK. He was so excited to show his Mom is band aid.

Overall it was a wonderful experience that I would not trade for anything. Kaden is very strong and seems to handle pain very well. He gets so excited about things and it is so neat to see. Who knew that a toddler getting his flu shot could be so fun?!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

What a great story and I love that he got to spend some time with "Daddy". I love keeping up with your family and I really enjoyed getting your perspective on the event!

Ashley said...

Bryan is such a great Daddy!!! :)

Jenny/Moravia said...

What a big boy! Sounds like great time with daddy.

Lara said...

So he didn't even cry when he got his shot? What a tough little boy! It's so special for them to be able to spend one on one time with each of their parents and it seems like Kade really enjoyed it! I love the new header Janet!!!