Tuesday, February 17

Breath Holding

I can't believe it's only Tuesday because I feel like we have had a full week already. It has been challenging, but good. I have allowed the stress of being a Mom to pile up on me and overwhelm me. I am sick of letting my fears run my life so I am taking a stand and trying to change. I know that this will be a long work in process.

I have started going to bed early, so that I can get up early to shower and have my quiet time before the kids get up. It has only been 2 days, but it has made a world of difference so far. The kids have had two restless nights (of course) that have made us lose some sleep, but I still feel better that I am ready and prepared for them when they wake up.

I have also realized that every Mom struggles, even if they look like they have it all together. Every Mom gets angry, embarrassed, tired, frustrated, and fill in the blank with any other emotion you can think of. I am not perfect and my children will not be perfect. Wow! That is a hard one for me to handle for some reason. I hold these high expectations over my head and my children's heads that are unachievable and it is killing me! I have to accept that things won't be perfect, and that does not make me a failure...another hard thing for me to handle! Anyways, that is all I want to say about it for now as I don't like to open up too much on here since I use this mostly as a family photo blog. Perhaps I will venture more into this later.

With all that being said, I am going to ask for some what would(have) you do(done) advice about a subject that I don't know much about...Breath Holding. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? I am very concerned that Mary-Kate might be a breath holder. I didn't think that something like this manifested itself until a child was older, but MK has since she was very young. When she gets very upset or angry, she will scream until the point she is holding her breath. She will even start to turn blue which is very scary. She did this three times yesterday and I was shocked that she was so passionate and emotional. It's hard to imagine a 9 month old having such extreme feelings. The best piece of advice I have heard on this subject is that if you blow in their face it surprises them and makes them suck in a breath. So far, this has worked for us and she will continue to scream and breathe after that. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this? Will she grow out of this? Is there anything I can do to make her stay more calm in situations that she can't control?

Anyways, I chatted with my Mom a few minutes last night and they are having a great time on their cruise. They were docking in Cozumel today. We miss them very much but are glad they are getting the time they need to relax and have fun. I promised my Mom I would put a few pictures up so here they are. We have been so busy that I only got a few of Kade, so I will post some of MK from a photo shoot a few weeks ago!

We have started potty training Kaden this week. He is so excited about his Thomas underwear

He will kill me one day when he sees all the embarrasing photos I have taken of him!

The motivation/reward...his favorite candy!

A random pic from the wind storm we had the other day. It was bad!

So Happy!

Look at that precious tongue!

And yet again.



4 comments:

Cami said...

Girl!!! Can I just tell you that I am having one of those "lose my mind" days today and seemed to have deserted any ounce of patience somewhere outside the walls of my home!! Your post was super encouraging! Yes ALL moms have these days and NONE of us have it together for sure!! Good for you for making the extra effort to have time for yourself! Esp. to spend time in the Word! Such a refreshment!! Any by the way...I think you are an amazing momma!!

As far as MK and holding her breath.... my little brother Cade, who is 10 now, had the "holding breath syndrome when he was a baby. There were several occasions he also turned blue! My parents blew in his face and that worked! Dr. also said some kiddos are just incredibly stubborn like that, it wouldn't hurt him, and that he would grow out of it. And he did eventually; I think he may have been 2. That was a while ago, so there may be "new" methods to help with that!!

love you girl!

p.s. LOVE the Thomas undies!!! And he will definitely kill you one day for that ;)

As For Me and My House said...

J-- Maya did the breath holding thing-- do you remember I even called the ambulance once because she was "passed out" for so long...scary stuff. I literally thought she had gone home to be with Jesus. The dr. told me she would grow out of it, and she has. To watch for signs like listen for her breathing and is her heart beating and if she holds her breath long enough she will pass out and begin breathing again. It all seems terribly dramatic at the moment though-- I would forget what I was supposed to do, etc. The good news is, she nor I have suffered any long term effects, the bad news is, it may be awhile before she grows out of it! I'll be thinking of you-- we come to S.A. the week of March 15th..Hope to see you then

Shaunna said...

I too have had a rough couple of days...No patience, frustration, and really just wanting a nap! You're not alone!! Thank you for this post...Just reading it made me feel better about these rough days!!

And about The Bachelor...I really want him to pick Melissa! The previews for the finale look crazy!! Is he going back to DeAnna??!! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!!

Thanks again- Hope you guys have a good rest of the week!!

Kasey Gonzales said...

Hey Jan, I know I'm not going to fully understand the "Mom" frustrations until I actually am one, but I just want to say that I think you are an AMAZING mom - you love your kids sooo much and it shows. I get overwhelmed with housework and stuff and I don't even have kids! My mom said Jamie and I used to do the holding our breath thing and we even passed out a few times - crazy! I don't even think I'm a dramatic person ha. I don't know what it is but that picture of Mary Kate in black is GOOOOORGEOUS!!