Monday, March 2

Our Target Adventure

Kaden loves to go to Target, especially when I promise that he can get something special, like a book or a toy.  The last time he was there he was allowed to spend his money on a big toy (a new choo choo train) and a book.  When I told him we were going to go today and look for some things he was very excited.  "I go get a new book?" he asked me.  My heart just melts.  I love that he loves books and reading.  He knows many of his books by heart now, and will "read" to Bryan and me.  
 
Well, our little trip didn't end up being as "fun" as I would have hoped!  Can I just say that the carts drive me absolutely crazy?  They are almost always stuck together and are impossible to get apart...especially when you are trying to hold on to a baby and a rambunctious toddler.  Sometimes, people are helpful, but most of the time I have to try 5 or 6 carts until I finally find one that I can get apart from the others.  Today was no exception.  I am yanking and pulling and searching when this sweet lady offers me her cart.  I thank her with much enthusiasm and let go of Kade's hand for one second to grab it from her.  Next thing I know, Kaden is off like a rocket.  I totally leave the lady hanging as I chase off after a giggling toddler with my most professional mommy voice saying, "KADEN TYLER YOU BETTER STOP RIGHT THERE!!!"  I am horrified that he is running away from me, but even more horrified that he is not stopping.  He has never done anything like that to me before and is usually pretty good when we are in public.  I know that he thinks it is a game, and I am wondering how in the world I am going to get him to stop.  

So here I am running through Target, with poor MK bouncing around on my hip as I chase after my crazy 2 1/2 year old.  I am desperately trying to keep my composure and hide the fact that I want to whoop this child's little bottom!  I mean, I may look like an inadequate mom to all the bystanders, but heaven forbid I look like a child abuser on top of that!  I know I looked a sight, as these "bystanders" laughed at me.  Yes, I did say LAUGH!  It was exasperating to me that no one would help me, and mind you that most of these people were Mommies themselves.  Now, I understand that people are afraid of lawsuits and such, but would there have been any harm in standing at the end of the aisle and helping herd my son like a cow escaped a pasture rather than moving out of his way for him to run on by???  

So here I am running through Target wondering will he ever stop?  Am I going to have to hand off my baby girl to someone and really chase him down?  What do I do when I catch him?  How do I handle this?  Finally, I ended up catching him in the furthest back corner.  He had the biggest grin on his face and looked like a boy full of energy and ready for another round.  I squatted down at the end of the aisle and coaxed him toward me.  He reluctantly came closer until I could finally snatch his hand and pull him in.  I had a very nice chat with him about how he can't run away from Mommy and about how people could take him from me, or how he could get hurt, etc.  He didn't seem to mind though, until I told him that we would not be shopping at Target if he couldn't obey Mommy and ride in the cart like a big boy.  He was very upset about that.  

After having a long chat with him we walked up to the front again, trying to ignore the stares and smiles of strangers.  MK was pretty amused, and I told her that she better not even think about acting like big brother one day.  We were discussing all of this when low and behold, Kade's sweet Sunday School teacher walks up and gives him a hug and starts talking with us.  All I could think about was, "Did this lady see me running through the store, hollering his name?"  And honestly, all I could do was laugh and smile!  For some reason, the whole thing struck me as funny and I think this might be one of those little episodes that I will look back on with joy one day.  Perhaps we will share it with his wife and children one day when he is grown and has a family of his own!  I'm sure, like my parents, that we will enjoy hearing his own "traumatic" stories of our own grandchildren and proclaim, "Well you did the very same thing one time!"  Haha! 

7 comments:

Kris T said...

I loved reading about your adventure. Not that I wish for you to have such stressful outings, but because I think it "normalizes" life for those of us right there with you raising our preschoolers. I'm glad it ended with some joy. Kade and Evan would make quite the pair in Target. :)

Donna/Ellie said...

Wow what a story! I could picture the whole thing and was laughing and crying with you. :) ellie only did that once and it was so frustrating, and I was only lugging my purse LOL. You're right it's probably one of those moments you'll chuckle about long into the future :)

London said...

Oh you poor thing! Sometimes I let Elijah walk when I go to Target (he loves that store too) and he can be so bad! He aslo ran away from me in Kohls once...I guess I should put him in the cart more often.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Lara said...

Oh Janet, I feel your pain. I'm so sorry! I bet you were about ready to scream! Carlie did that to me once in Old Navy. Thankfully Jacelyn wasn't with me though. As soon as I caught her, I put all of our stuff down that we were buying and walked out of the store, her screaming and crying the whole way. She has also taken off runnning in parking lots about 3 or 4 times. Most of this happened when she was between the ages of 3 1/2-4 1/2. I sooo do not look forward to that age with Jacelyn! haha!

Jenny/Moravia said...

What a crazy adventure. I hope that was the last time. Congrats on keeping your cool!

Chelsea said...

I've stopped a kid running from his mom before! Sorry I wasn't there on that one! :) And just so you know,it's hilarious from the outside! :) haha!

As For Me and My House said...

:)