Wednesday, April 15

Embarrassing Moments

I have to tell y'all about two embarrassing moments I had yesterday! One is funny now, but one irks me...so it might be more of a vent.

Yesterday for lunch, time was short, so Bryan and I decided to pick up McAllister's on our way to pick Kade up from school. We called to order it on the way over there, and when we pulled up we still had 10 extra minutes to wait. I told Bryan to get MK out of her carseat so we could sit and enjoy time together while we waited on our food. So Bryan got MK out and put her in the front seat with him so she could play with the steering wheel, etc. Well, I look over and there are all these little old ladies staring at us with their mouths open and brows furrowed. "Goodness" I tell Bryan. "I think they think you are going to drive away with MK in your lap. How can they think we are that stupid?" Well, I think that they will go on about their business, but no such luck. They all just stand there staring. It is very uncomfortable and was beginning to make me mad. I didn't know if they were waiting on us to drive off or what. I mutter under my breath, "Sheesh Ladies. We are not going to leave our little girl in the front seat when we drive off." I am beginning to get pretty irritated as it has been a good amount of time that they have been just staring. Some of them are even glaring at us. I have been sort of grumpy lately (MK is not sleeping at night, so neither are we...) so I finally throw my hands up in a shrug and say, "What?" (Not that they can hear me, but I know they can see my gesture.) It has seriously been a long time that they have been gaping open mouthed at us. Right about that time, I turn to ask Bryan what to do, when I notice the big movie theatre marquee behind us. OOPS! It was then I realized that they were NOT glaring disapprovingly at us, but were squinting with all their might to read what movies were showing behind us. HAHAHAHAHAHA! I was embarrassed for getting so frustrated, but I don't think they had even noticed us!

My second moment yesterday is accompanied with the vent. Bryan had told me that Bug Express needed to spray our backyard and they would be there at 4:00. Great...I hate when people have to come to the house, they always ask questions I don't know the answer to and make me feel like a stupid stay at home mom. Bryan then told me that he told them not to even ring the doorbell, but to just go ahead and spray the yard at that time. They didn't need to talk to us. Well I knew that would never happen. They never follow his instructions, and I understood that they would want to check that someone was home. However, I was hoping that I could just answer the door and then send him to the back with no problems. Here starts the embarrassing part...

I had actually been out and about yesterday running errands, but when I got home I put my comfy pajama pants on. I knew that I had some time before I needed to put my clothes back on and look presentable. But low and behold, 20 minutes to 4 the doorbell rings. I groan as I peek out the hole and see the bug man. Doesn't anyone keep to an appointment time anymore? We said 4 for a reason!! Anyways, I have to answer the door, looking like a total scrub which is slightly embarrassing, but not a huge deal. He tells me he is going to pull around to the back and I can show him where the bugs are. Say what??? I thought he was just going to spray and I wouldn't have to do anything. I grumble again as I put my shoes on and grab a fussy MK from the floor and go around to the back. As we meet him out back, sure enough, he starts asking questions I don't know the answer to.
What do these bugs look like?
Uh...black and orange?

What about the flying ants?
Uh, they look like ants with wings?

Are they termites?
I don't know.

When is the last time y'all were inspected for termites?
I really don't know.

Have y'all seen any termites since living here?
Not that I recall.

Next thing I know, he is walking towards the house telling me he needs to check under my sink to see when our last inspection was. What?? I thought you were just here spray the backyard. He didn't even ask, which I thought was pretty rude. He just pushed past me and went into the house...(This is the embarrassing part!) My house is an absolute wreck. Due to family visiting, holiday time, all the hard work on my show, MK being sick, etc...It is a nightmare in there. I didn't know anyone would be coming in. So he walks right into the mess of not quite finished dishes in the sink, food all over MK's high chair and the floor that I hadn't cleaned up yet from lunch, plates on the floor that I had let MK pull out of her tupperware drawer so I could eat a peaceful lunch, and crap all over the counter. I am wanting to shrink away as I feel like one of those incapable stay at home mom's (I'm sure that he was thinking this!) and wonder why no one ever shows up at our house on days that the kids and I are dressed well and the house is clean?) He then stands in the middle of this mess and lectures about termite inspections and such. He tells me that he has extra time (yeah, you came early!) and he can go ahead and inspect the whole house. (Aggggggghhhhhhhh! I think I will literally die if anyone sees our bedroom.) I don't even have time to ask more about it or decline before he is out the door again and spraying the backyard (like he was supposed to). I won't get into all the other things he did because you get the point, but I was thoroughly embarrassed. And I was proud of myself, because when he finally gave me the chance to get a word in edgewise, I declined the internal inspection saying the house was in no condition today.

I know it doesn't seem like that big a deal, but remember I was very grumpy, and I have these major issues of feeling like an inadequate stay at home mom! Oy! In hindsight is not a big deal at all, but I sure was embarrassed. I enjoyed venting though and feel better now!

4 comments:

Lara said...

Oh Janet! I'm so sorry you had such a rough day! I have been where you are except with family instead of a bug man. lol. My MIL once brought over her very rich, uppity, single, no children having friend to my house on a weekend afternoon. I was still in pj's, as were the girls. My house was a DISASTER!!! My house is usually a little messy but this was beyond messy. Her friend said "Well you're house looks good for having 2 kids running around here" I'm pretty sure she wasn't being sincere and she probably thought I was just this lazy mother! lol. You are a great mom and it never fails that no one can ever see our houses except when their unpresentable!

Shaunna said...

I HATE it when people like the "bug man" come to our house when Blake isn't home...I always feel like such a dummie because I never know the answers to their questions either! Grr! And I also wonder why no one ever comes to our house when it's clean...It's always a WRECK when people decide to stop by unannounced...NEVER FAILS! Know that you are NOT alone:]

And you're a great mommy, Janet! I think we all have those days/weeks when we just don't feel like we're doing a great job...I have them all the time!

Hope MK starts sleeping better! Thank you for your honesty- Being a SAHM isn't always glamorous...In fact, it's rarely EVER glamorus! Ha! Hope your weeks gets better!

Chelsea said...

I'm pretty sure I would not have been as nice as you! I would have stopped him in his tracks! That sounds very frustrating!

Christine said...

I use to have a friend who was our exterminator. I commented to him how I was embarrassed about my house being a pigsty and he would tell me not to worry about it. That I had little kids and they don't expect their clients to have spotless houses anyway. He said that they see some doozies on a daily basis. Anyway, in your situation I would have either ignored the doorbell or just told the guy go ahead and spray and if he needed more info or to do anything else, he would need to call my husband since he was the one that made the appt to begin with.
The first story made me laugh. Totally something I would do.