Tuesday, May 18

It all happened so fast.

One thing that I have learned in life, is that I might make my own plans, but sometimes the Lord has other ideas for me that will prevail. There have been numerous times (with big decisions) that I am thinking one thing, but He totally surprises me with something else. For instance, I am totally eating these words: "I will never date Bryan, and I will never marry him. We are just really good friends." Yep, thankfully the Lord has better plans for us sometimes. :)

A few months ago, the children's minister at our church announced she was resigning. It is a good thing for her in the right time. She has done a wonderful job in that position for many years, and is ready to move on to the next stage in her life. When she mentioned it to me during children's church one Wednesday night I briefly thought about applying for the position, but then I immediately thought about all the reasons why I "couldn't." Kids, family, business, women's ministry, college ministry...there were just too many other things going on.

Fast forward to a month ago. I was discussing my business with Bryan and we were talking about options for growth. We basically came to the conclusion that my dreams of major growth (like opening a store) would just have to wait for now. Although I could do shows and kiosks in the mall, it just was not logical to do anything beyond that. I figured we would have to wait until the kids were older, amongst other things. I tried not to be discouraged by this, but deep down I was a little disappointed. Now don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be a Mommy, and I love that this is my stage in life. It's just a little hard to have a dream that you know is something you cannot attain for (probably) years to come.

So the very next morning, I got a phone call from someone that wanted to talk to me about putting in an application for the children's position at the church. They wanted to meet with me and Bryan to talk about things. I told them I would meet with them, but inside I felt like I was misleading them since I *knew* I wasn't going to do it. During the meeting I was inspired and encouraged, but still didn't think the job was for me. They asked that I would just pray about it and let them know at the end of the week. I agreed that I would pray about it.

Man, talk about a crazy week. As I spent time in prayer, the Lord slowly began to change my heart and show me plans that had nothing to do with anything I had been thinking. At the end of the week, I felt led to put in my application. I can tell you that I was more shocked than anyone. I never would have thought this was something I would want to do, but the Lord had not only changed my heart, He grew it and made me desire to be apart of this ministry. I began to see so many ways he had prepared me for this ministry.

2 weeks later I had an interview with a committee. It was a really exciting time, although I was nervous! All I could do, was share my heart with them, and trust that if God wanted me for this position it would happen. If he didn't, then he would give me peace and show me a way that I could still serve. I knew he had awakened a desire to be apart of this ministry for some reason, whether I got the position or not. 3 days later I got a phone call. They offered me the position and I accepted!

I am so excited to announce that I will now work part time as the children's coordinator at our church. I still get to stay at home with the kids, and work when they are in school (MDO). I started a week ago on Monday and have already hit the ground running. I get to jump into the ministry right in time for the busy season. I am thrilled though, and am excited to see how God will use me to serve the children and families of our church. I am also ready to see how he will change my life!

It's amazing how fast your life can change. A month ago I had one thing on my mind, but the Lord had something else on his. Once again I am eating my words, but as it is when the Lord shows us something better than our plans, I will gladly eat them for lunch! Please pray for our church and for our family. I know that a lot is in store for us and I am excited to see what it is.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Congratulations! Praise God that you kept your heart open to His will instead of your own. God will truly bless you for that, Janet. I'm really excited for you. I can totally see what you mean about God having plans for us even if we think we have our own that's totally different. That's pretty much what happened to us with moving here to Oregon. I NEVER in a million years thought we would just drop everything and move here out of nowhere. But after much prayer, God showed us and continues to show us that this is where he wants us. I'll be praying for your church and for you in your new ministry. I know it's easy to get burned out so I will pray extra hard. :) Keep us posted on how things go.

Cami said...

WOW!!!! That is crazy!! But you will do such a fantastic job!!!! You are so super creative and SOOO good with kids :) They are lucky to have you! Congratulations!!

Southland Children's Ministry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet said...

Christine~Thanks so much! Sometimes it is a nice feeling when you are led in a direction you would never have even thought to go. It really helps you keep things in perspective. Thanks for the prayers!

Cami~ Thanks girl! I appreciate it.

Kasey Gonzales said...

Haha! to the "never dating Bryan" part...I seem to remember hearing that a few times. But you couldn't have found a better guy! I'm excited to see God working in all areas of your life and can't wait to see what you accomplish as children's coordinator! I've been praying about my career lately, but God hasn't flashed any neon signs in my face like I was hoping =). Anyways congrat and good luck!!

Donna/Ellie said...

That sounds like it it all fell together in a way that is all so meant to be. I'm so excited for you and proud! I hope you love it and the way it fits into your new life :)

Melissa Figueroa said...

Janet you will be so wonderful at this! It sounds so perfect!