Wednesday, May 19

Little People

One of my favorite things about kids, is that they are little people with their own little minds. They have likes and dislikes, and every day is a day of discovery. I love seeing little quirks in my kids and knowing that it is a part of their personality that they will (more than likely) always have with them.

For example, today Kade followed me into the bathroom when I was doing my hair. (He just loves to be with people.) There are times when I just look at this grown up boy next to me and I am amazed. He speaks so clearly, and has so many interesting thoughts he loves to tell me about. At this particular point he was talking to me about yogurt. This boy loves yogurt! I had opened some for me to snack on since I had a meeting at the church that would last past dinner. He was telling me that he thought he should have some of my yogurt. I told him that Daddy would be making him dinner soon and that he could have his own yogurt then.
"But I could have some now," he explained.
"You could" I said, "but I want you to save your appetite for dinner."
"Can I really have some at dinner?" He asked.
"Yes. You can definitely have some at dinner." I repeated
"Well we need to make a plan." He said
"What?" I asked.
"We need to plan on it. If we make a plan, it will happen. If we don't, it probably won't happen." He explained with his eyes bright. I turned and stared at him in shock. It seemed like such a profound statement for a 4 year old. Not only that, but it reminded me of myself. I love planning and organizing things. I seriously start planning holidays and birthdays months ahead of time. It's kind of weird, but I love to write out details to things I am working on.

It got me to thinking, this probably isn't just something he is repeating, but something deep down inside of him. It is probably a personality trait that will grow with him. We have seen bits and pieces of this organized (some people call it anal) characteristic in numerous other ways, and it was really cool to think about. He will probably be a planner all of his life.

Later tonight, we were outside with the kids playing in the backyard, when Mary-Kate got hurt. She flipped out of her swing and landed on her head. Poor girl has had a rough day! She hit pretty hard and was really upset. I held her in my arms and she just cried and cried, and kept saying her head really hurt. It was so sad, and all I could do was hold her and try and comfort her. After awhile, she was able to get down and play again.

Bryan and I both figured she would stay far away from the swings. So I asked her, "Mary-Kate you want to swing?" Figuring she would say no and frown at me she said, "yeah!" and ran over to the swings. I don't know why, but I was shocked. That girl got back up on there and began to swing. I looked at Bryan and told him how amazing she was. She is one very brave and determined little girl. (A little stubborn too maybe!) I truly think that it is a personality trait deep in her as well.

I look forward to watching these and many other traits grow in them. Having little people in your house is so fun! What an adventure to watch them grow! It's also fun to see the little quirks your kids have and to pick out how they are like Daddy or how they are like Mommy! :)


On another note, here is a pic of MK from this morning. And no, she actually didn't get hurt (that I know of). She has been having allergy problems lately, and I think that it was a result of that. I heard her crying and when I went in her room I saw the blood everywhere. She didn't realize what was going on. Fortunately, she cleaned up and was ok, and the blood came out of all of her sheets and jammies too. Life is never dull in this house!
(Sorry about the quality of the photo, it was taken on my phone.)

1 comment:

Christine said...

Kids are definitely an adventure. I look forward to seeing how my kids are as adults... not that I wish that time to come quickly or anything. Anyway, I bet Kaden's future wife will probably get a well thought out and sweet proposal. I know, not something you want to think about, but I did. :P I'm glad the blood got out of MK's sheets and jammies. I use to get bloody noses often. I feel for her.