Wednesday, August 20

Breastfeeding

One of the joys of motherhood for me has been breastfeeding my children. I think it is something that is very special and bonding. (Although, I have had many heart to hearts this week with MK about not using me as her teether!!!) So many people spend time arguing about their decision or defending it, and I hate that. I wish that more people were supportive and encouraging! It is something that is hard in the beginning and I think a support team is very valuable to someone that wants to breastfeed! I would encourage all women to try it, but I know there are legitimate reasons for why it doesn't work for some. Anyways, I found some really interesting statistics on breastfeeding tonight that I wanted to post. I thought some of them were really sad.

* About 75% of new American mothers try breastfeeding, but many quit before their babies are 6 months old. One study showed that only 36% of babies are breastfed through six months.

* The analysis of national data on more than 60,000 children found that mothers with higher levels of education and income were most likely to breastfeed for more than six months.

* Breastfeeding was also more likely to be done by married women, those in western states, Hispanic women and those born in other countries.

* The likelihood of long-term breastfeeding decreased among women who were returning to work, smokers, and those living in the Northeast, said the study, published in the August issue of the Journal of Human Lactation.

* It also found lower levels of long-term breastfeeding among low-income women who took part in the subsidized Women, Infants and Children program, which provides food, milk and formula to mothers and young children, the Times reported. (I thought this was really crazy!!)

5 comments:

London said...

Love this post! I breastfed Batman for a year and I loved it! So many people acted like I was crazy but I didn't care. It's such a small sacrifice to give them one year, now I can barely remember it.

Christine said...

I get a lot of crazy looks when people find out I'm still breastfeeding Emily at 27 months. Her pediatrician gives me a look and asks how long I plan on continuing. I tell him as long as she wants to, within reason. When she turns 3 if she's still bf-ing we'll re-evaluate. I don't really see us going TO 3, much less past it, but I really don't have a problem.

Kris T said...

You're right, support makes a huge difference. I'm nervous about starting again in a few months, but excited to get the chance again, too.

Alyson Sandlin said...

I'm always upset that single moms, low income moms, and those without a support system are not given more encouragement by our society and the hospitals in which they give birth. I think more women would do it if they had a support system. Even those who have to return to work should be given the freedom to pump at work or take breaks to go nurse. Just my opinion :) I nursed both my babies for a year and recommend it to everyone. If you can make it past the first month or so it gets so much easier.

-Bridget said...

I so wish I'd been able to breastfeed. I was a failure at it twice. The plan had been to breastfeed all along and it was really hard for me to get over feeling completely inadequate in not being able to do so. I'm so glad it worked for you. Breast is best!