Monday, September 29

Porcupines

Porcupines are weird creatures, although I must admit I haven't encountered one in the wild (fortunately)! Oddly enough, we saw 5 porcupines on our road trip on Saturday. 5!!! I couldn't believe it! Most of them were dead and laying in the middle of the road but I still have never seen that many porcupines ever . It was kind of freaky to think about how many there really were out there since we saw that many in the stretch of about 151 miles. This led to an interesting conversation between Bryan and me about how porcupines give birth...but I will not enlighten y'all to that. Instead I will leave y'all with some cool porcupine facts that I read up on today! (Yes, I am a Google nerd!)



* There are about 23 different species of porcupine in the world.

* Porcupines are the 3rd largest rodent in the world. (Capybara and Beaver are the 1st and 2nd.)

* Porcupines like salty things.

* They are not afraid of water and will swim across lakes and streams to get where they are going.

* There is a 30 minute time table after a baby porcupine is born. Their quills are soft until this point when they begin to harden.

* Much to popular belief, porcupines don't throw their quills. They do easily come loose though.

* Unlike most mammals, the male also helps the female in taking care of the young.

* Porcupine quills are as sharp as needles, detach very easily, and will remain embedded in an attacker. Unlike needles, however, the quills have microscopic, backwards-facing barbs on the tip that catch on the skin making them difficult and painful to extract. If a quill becomes lodged in the tissues of a would-be attacker, the barbs act to pull the quill further into the tissues with the normal muscle movements of the attacker, moving up to several millimeters in a day. Predators have been known to die as a result of quill penetration and infection. Quills are still capable of penetrating animals and humans even after death.

* The name “porcupine” means “one who rises up in anger!”

* Porcupines grow new quills to replace the ones they lose.

No comments: